Monday, March 05, 2007

Stopover in Fiji, take 2

On my way home from Australia I had a another 2 day stopover in Fiji. Contrary to my first experience there, it turned out quite nice and gave me a chance to get rid of my farmer's tan (no luck though).

This is indeed my hostel, yes HOSTEL!! Right on the beach and comes with hammocks, volleyball and a pool. The only catch is they put these things in the middle of nowhere so you're forced to buy their food, which isn't exactly at backpacker prices.


The beach in front of the hostel - not exactly what you'd consider Fiji to be like, but it was nice enough for 10 minutes from the airport. I went for a walk down the beach for an hour and didn't see any other buildings! The water was so unbelievably warm here too, the warmest I've ever been in. It was almost uncomfortable to swim in cause it gave you no break from the heat. That's why they have the pool though, a cold water pool!!


Relaxing at the hostel!


On my second day I signed up for a day boat cruise to an island. Despite all the older people (see pic) is was actually very fun and a great way to spend the day. I also met this other girl from Vancouver with the same last name as me so at least there was someone else my age to spend the day with!

Here I am trying some Kava, during the Kava ceremony. It's a local drink made from a plant that supposedly has some drug like effects, but everyone drinks it normally.


After 2 hours we reached our destination...


Screw waiting for the shuttle boat, I'm swimming!


Mystery Island was it's name. It was completely deserted except for a few huts they used to cook meals and such. We walked around its sandy beaches in about 30 minutes.


Just relaxing some more.


On the island we got fed an awesome bbq meal of fish, sausage and chicken, plus all the beer and pop we could drink! mmm


The boat crew also played us some island music while we ate!


Kayaking and snorkeling were on the menu for the afternoon.


They were even nice enough to let me drive for a bit, as long as I didn't turn the wheel:p


Mika, the girl from van with the same name. No, we aren't related.


After a few more beers at the hostel I arrived at the airport a bit tipsy and out of money. Luckily I didn't have that extra beer else I would have been stranded as my credit card expired 2 days before without my knowing. So I had a bit of an embarrassment when I went to buy some souvenirs at duty free with an expired card.


Ah there's nothing like home!

Posted by Evan at 2:21 PM

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home